Today I upgraded my Gentoo kernel to 2.6.23 version, but I had this problem when emerging madwifi-ng:
* Messages for package net-wireless/madwifi-ng-0.9.3.3: * CONFIG_CONFIG_KMOD: is not set when it should be. * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly. * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems. * Once you have satisfied these options, please try merging * this package again. * * ERROR: net-wireless/madwifi-ng-0.9.3.3 failed. * Call stack: * ebuild.sh, line 1717: Called dyn_setup * ebuild.sh, line 768: Called qa_call 'pkg_setup' * ebuild.sh, line 44: Called pkg_setup * madwifi-ng-0.9.3.3.ebuild, line 34: Called linux-mod_pkg_setup * linux-mod.eclass, line 465: Called linux-info_pkg_setup * linux-info.eclass, line 576: Called check_extra_config * linux-info.eclass, line 475: Called die * The specific snippet of code: * die "Incorrect kernel configuration options" * The die message: * Incorrect kernel configuration options * * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant. * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/madwifi-ng-0.9.3.3/temp/build.log'. *
Of course KMOD (automatic kernel module loading support) was set. Damn developers!
So I had to:
- open /usr/src/linux/.config
- look for CONFIG_KMOD and check tiat it wass indeed set (CONFIG_KMOD=y), otherwise one should have to recompile the kernel.
- add a line below: CONFIG_CONFIG_KMOD=y (yes, it makes me laugh too)
- save & close /usr/src/linux/.config
- emerge madwifi-ng
- re-open /usr/src/linux/.config
- delete the previous added line CONFIG_CONFIG_KMOD=y, save and exit.
I guess the bug should be resolved by madwifi developers, but was caused by kernel developers happily removing a CONFIG_ here and there…